BPD Survival Skills (BSS) is the cornerstone of our educational programs.
BSS provides a comprehensive understanding of the effects of BPD upon sufferers and the collateral damage it causes to their relationships. BSS teaches you how to anticipate, identify, avoid and or recover from negative episodes associated with BPD behaviors. BSS also provides participants with a thorough understanding of the practical uses and applications of DBT and MBT when interfacing with BPD sufferers.
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is a disease which affects 1 – 6% of the population. Most studies show that women are up to three times more likely than men to be afflicted. Crossing all ethnic and economic boundaries, BPD is usually only diagnosed in adults but can occur in adolescents.
“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”
– Mark Twain (1835 – 1910)
• Understand Borderline Personality Disorder – BPD is one of the least understood of the personality disorders. Whereas other disorders have gained significant notoriety, BPD is still relatively unknown and or misunderstood amongst professionals and laypeople alike. Participants will be afforded a practical, pragmatic and functional knowledge of BPD along with the disease’s effects upon sufferers and bystanders alike.
• Build Trust – Trust is of paramount importance to sustaining a successful, productive relationship with those who suffer from this disease. Participants will learn how their innocent behaviors and well intended comments can be misinterpreted by those with BPD, creating an environment of suspicion and distrust. Participants will be afforded the opportunity, through lecture and roll play, to learn the skills required to build and foster a safe, trusting relationship with BPD sufferers.
• Convert Anger to Empathy – Anger and frustration are natural reactions to the stereotypical behaviors of those afflicted with BPD. Learning to convert anger into productive, communicated, compassionate empathy will greatly improve relationships with BPD sufferers.
• Minimize stressful interactions – ‘Stress is a killer’, we have all heard this aphorism. BPD is amongst the most significant of stress inducing personality disorders. This stress applies not only to the sufferer but in many cases the induced levels of stress are far greater for those who interact with the afflicted person. Participants will learn revolutionary Dialectic Behavior Therapy (DBT) techniques for minimizing and controlling stressful situations.
What’s Borderline Personality Disorder
- Professional description & laypersons interpretation of BPD
- The impact of BPD upon society at large
- Collateral damage to interpersonal relationships
- Learning to accept the reality of life under BPD
- Letting go of your expectations
The Smoke & Mirrors of BPD
- Understanding irrational responses to normal situations
- Basic understanding of relevant areas in the human brain
- How specific parts of the brain are affected by BPD
Changing Lanes on the Behavioral Highway
- What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Overview of how thoughts influence behavior
- Learning to walk in the other persons shoes (Mentalization)
- How to change your behaviors without sacrificing integrity
- How to utilize DBT therapy in your family situation
Leveling the Playing Field
- Interpreting emotional behaviors
- Translating rational reactions into productive communication
- Practice through role-play
Doing & Saying the Right Thing is an Art Form
- What is validation
- Why validation is imperative
- How to validate without being disingenuous
Using & Teaching Survival Skills
- Self-defense in the BPD wilderness
- Promise them anything but give them Arpège
- Keep your eye on the ball
- Contingency planning & emergency preparedness
- Teaching them to fish (survival when you’re gone)
- Married 44 years, 3 children, 4 grandchildren.
- 37 years (and counting) as a BPD care & support parent.
- Founder – Bpd global & TARA California.
- President – NAMI local affiliate (2000 – 2001).
- Board of Directors – NAMI local affiliate (1996 – 2000)
- Instructor – NAMI “Family-to-Family Education Program”
- 24 years of commercial and non-profit employment.
- In addition to her many years providing care and support as a BPD parent, Sandy has been thoroughly educated in the practical application of DBT and numerous other therapeutic disciplines related to supporting those afflicted with BPD.
- Sandy has conducted many workshops and seminars, all directed toward helping people interact productively with BPD sufferers.
- 25 years of marriage, 2 children, 1 grandchild
- 33 years (and counting) as a BPD care & support parent
- 36 years as an elementary school teacher
- 10 years training other educators
- MA degree – Literacy
- 7 years as TARA California workshop & support-group instructor
- Former NAMI Family to Family instructor
When • Where • How
Yes, we need to keep the lights on, host the website, buy gasoline and purchase materials. As a result of our expenses, we must charge a modest fee for anyone wishing to take this course.
- Individuals – $300.00
- Couples – $550.00
Dates & Times:
- For dates, see: Event Calendar
All sessions will begin on time, please be prompt.
- Friday – 7:00pm – 9:00pm
- Saturday – 8:30am – 5:00pm
- Sunday – 8:30am – 5:00pm
Currently, the only location at which we offer BSS is:
Plenty of free, on-site parking in the adjacent parking lot.
As we typically conduct this program in San Diego, the weather is usually very mild if not beautiful. We urge you to dress comfortably, the program is rather intense and San Diego is a very casual city. We advise you to consult Accuweather for Zip 92131 prior to your trip.
California is an “All Party Consent” state with regard to electronic recording, both audio and video. As a result of this legal restriction, we must prohibit all attendees from attempting to record our sessions.
Additionally, we must restrict, during class, the use of all electronic communications; phones, text messaging, internet, etc. We provide adequate breaks throughout the day which will enable you to communicate in a reasonable fashion.
Light refreshments are provided during all sessions (coffee, tea, water, etc.). Additionally, we also provide afternoon snacks. Each participant is responsible for their own lunch, there are several options within walking distance.
There are many choices for dining in the vicinity of our course location. As everyone’s concept of a good restaurant is different, we have simply provided a Google map below showing all eateries in the immediate area, bon appetite.
Yup… you’re in San Diego, lots and lots of fun stuff to do if you’re willing to add additional days to your trip. The magnificent zoo, safari park, Sea World, Old Town, beaches, USS Midway, Balboa Park, Gas Lamp District. The list is virtually endless. We urge you to consult the official tourism website for detailed information.
We do not offer automated registration or payment.
To register for a program, complete the form. We’ll respond ASAP!